Thursday, February 21, 2013

Coconut

Dallin read about coconuts and coconut trees in his reading book and was really interested in them.  He told us all about the shell, and what was inside.  He really wanted to try one.  I thought it would be neat to get him one to try, but was doubtful I would find one in Colorado. But to my amazement, they had some at the grocery store, and they were even on sale, Score!  So I surprised him one day, and bought one. He was so excited.  Now, we just had to figure out how to open it.  Dallin said the easiest way was to throw it on the floor, which he tried. Soon milk was dripping all over the floor, but the coconut was not open.  So with help from Dad, we got it cracked open and had ourselves a taste.  The flesh was pretty good, but everyone was a bit dissappointed with the milk.  I tried to explain that the coconut we are used to is coated with sugar, but this is the real stuff. (Although I am sure it would be a lot better if it was fresh off the tree).  It was a nice surprise and a fun new taste.  Dallin took the coconut to school the next day and offered his reading group all a taste.  Seeing the real thing after reading about it was a great educational boost.

No comments:

sitemeter