Sunday, August 23, 2009

Huckleberries


While we were visiting family we headed out to pick huckleberries one evening. We had a nice picnic in the woods, so peaceful. Then the kids slid down the dirt slide (a tradition). I remember doing it as a kid, but as I watched Dallin sliding down with glee, I thought "That has to be uncomfortable on his little bottom". I guess that is one of the joys of being a kid, you don't notice the pain, only the fun. Notice he even drug his hands all the way down. But if you could have seen the smile on his face at the bottom of the hill, you would know that he thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.


The girls after picking.

Here is half the crew on the hill. It was a balancing act to hold your bucket, pick the tiny huckleberries, and stay upright on a slanted hill. But it is so worth it all.

Brea stole Grampa's hat. She was such a trooper, picking her own berries and walking on her own through the slanted shrubs.


Dallin and Brea with their loot. The berries were actually kind of scarce, so we didn't get a ton, but they were proud of the tiny bit in the bottom of their bucket. Dallin thought he for sure had the most of anyone. I just let him think that! We went home and made huckleberry shakes -Yummy! The next day we had huckleberry pancakes. What a fun family night.


Malinda and Jeralin were the most clever. They made buckets out of milk cartins and connected them to their waist with a belt - so smart. They made one for Jackie as well. She loved hanging out with Jeralin all week and was very excited to have their milk gallon bucket to use.


Dirty Brea had a great time, but was ready for a bath.

No comments:

sitemeter