Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Week 3 White Casts

 Taking off the 2nd casts.  This time I did it by myself, but it wasn't too hard.  Peter was asleep, so that helped.  Ephraim was so happy, I was even able to shoot this little video. 
 The unravel and unravel and unravel, until he looks like a mummy with just white cotton on his feet and legs.  Then it is BATH TIME!  This time he really enjoyed the bath.  I just filled up the sink and let him squish his little legs in there, he as very content. 
 The feet look great.  His regular Doctor, Dr. Shaw, who is an Orthopedic Surgeon was out of the country performing surgery on kids in 3rd world countries that have club feet.  The Physical Therapist not only measured but also wrapped the casts.  She took a little longer than the Dr. and seemed to be more of a perfectionist about it.  In fact she almost had the first leg done, and then had to unwrap it because it was not right.  But I would rather take longer and have it done right.  I was impressed that even she was trained in Italy by Ponseti (which is the Dr. that discovered this method of healing club foot without surgery).  She trained with him 10 years ago and he was 90 years old.  He has since passed away.  The Physical Therapist explained everything she was doing, which was kind of nice.  She explained what position they were holding the foot and why.  She talked about the muscles up in the leg and how they needed to reposition them so that the foot was not only straight but could also lift up in walking.  She said his progress looked great and the only measurements that are not in the "normal range" is the ability to move up as you would to walk, but it will come.  I am so impressed how straight they are with only two casts so far. 
 White Casts this week since he is going to receive his baby blessing this Sunday at church.  He always wears leggings over the casts, but I don't have any white leggings.  I didn't want his casts to stand out as lot of people don't even realize he has them. 
All done and ready to go!

No comments:

sitemeter