Friday, June 8, 2012

Summer is Here - we are camping

 We are a family that likes to camp.  Now that school is out, we are out to, out in the woods that is.  We found a great campground that is very private with rocks and trees all around.  The kids love going exploring and rock climbing and stay entertained all day.  I brought some bubbles for Alyssa and she had fun trying to blow them herself.
 Alyssa was a great camper and enjoyed being outside as well.  She even slept well all through the night, in fact all the kids did.
 Dallin in his rubber boots hanging out on the rocks.  He said on one of his papers at school that he wishes he could live in nature with the animals.  He is happiest outside and uses his great imagination to have lots of fun.
 Alyssa again, laughing at Dallin.
 They were making faces at each other across the rocks.  He is good at making people laugh, both young and old.
 Jeff brought his guns, not my idea, and shot a few rounds with Dallin.  I was impressed with how seriously Dallin took it.  He was very good around the guns and Dad even let him shoot the BB Gun a few times.
 Although I am not to hip on guns and shooting (especially for fun) it was something to see my six year old hold, aim, and shoot a real gun (granted it was just a BB gun, but it is still REAL).
 I hardly got any pictures of Brea, she is usually front a center in all the pictures, but she was having too much fun playing.
 We brought walkie talkies with us in case we went on a hike and got spaced out.  Well, Jackie took one of the walkie talkies and headed out by herself.  We didn't think she would go too far and we were talking over the walkie talkies.  It had been about 5 minutes since I talked to her so I tried calling and she did not answer.  I decided to go look for her and heard a faint cry, as it came closer we realized Jackie had fallen and scrapped herself up pretty bad.  Dallin shot into action and grabbed the first aid kid, and bandaged her right up.  She also happened to drop the walkie talkie into a crevice in the rock.  So I took Alyssa on my back and  Jackie as my guide, and Dallin as my helper, to find the walkie talkie.  We were looking all around were Jackie said she fell (it was a steep rock she had climbed up and then tried to climb down).  I boosted Dallin up and him and I were looking in all the crevice.  Right then Jeff called on the walkie talkie, we were so excited that he called right then, because that helped us find exactly where it was.  It was quite an adventure, and Jackie and Dallin made it very exciting and life threatening.
 This is the spot where she fell and dropped the walkie talkie, and were we famously found it!
 Jeff brought some rope and made this fun spider web for the kids to play on.  It helped keep them at camp and not wondering off.
 We took a day trip to the Fossil Beds National Park.  I had no idea these were so close to us.  They had petrified Redwood trees.  It is amazing to think that a Redwood forest used to be there.
 We walked a one mile loop to see many more of these Redwood petrified trees.  The kids got tired towards the end, but they all made it.


 On the way back to camp we stopped at a place where the kids could find their own fossils.  They were shale rock that could be split open to reveal fossils of leaves, bugs, animals, ect.  It was very fascinating to see what you would find.  We brought home fossils of leaves and bugs, and a rare feather.
Of course we enjoyed smores and campfire fun as well.  We ended up staying longer than we had planned because it was so nice being outside.  We decided it would be great to live in a house or cabin out in the woods.

No comments:

sitemeter