Sunday, April 8, 2012

Leperchan compass hike

 While Elly was here we were able to do a compass hike at the Fountain Nature Center.  We were in search of a Pot of Gold left by a leprechaun.  Brea and Alyssa enjoyed just being outside, they didn't really get into the whole compass thing.
Jackie and Dallin got more into it.  At the beginning they taught us about maps and symbols.  Then they gave each person a compass and taught us how to use it.  I actually learned a lot.  I thought I knew how to use a compass, but I guess I did not.  It was neat to be able to use it correctly and actually find something with it. The directions we were given actually took us in a circle.  We placed a flag where we started and we ended up with a magical pot of gold in the same spot.  The kids were so excited when they found it.  They started screaming, "We found the GOLD!" They didn't realize that everyone else had found their own pot of gold.  I think everyone was pretty entertained, one adult said to us "Wow, I bet Christmas is exciting at your house!"  And yes, it is very exciting at our house.
 It was nice having another adult with us, we loved having Elly visit.  She is is such a fun Aunt.
 Counting their steps, actually Dads steps, they tried hard to keep up with him, but their legs just weren't quiet long enough.
Alyssa is getting very independent and didn't even want us to hold her hand.  We have always brought the stroller with us on hikes, but she wants to be out with the other kids and tries her best to stay right up with them.  It was a fun way to celebrate St. Patricks day.  Besides wearing green we usually don't do much.  Now we can do compass leprechaun hikes for Gold!

No comments:

sitemeter